Jessica Korda wins Women’s Australian Open

MELBOURNE, Australia - National youngster Jessica Korda won the Women’s Australian Open on Sunday for her first LPGA Trip headline, holing a 25-foot birdie  putt on the second pit of a six-player playoff.


The 18-year-old Korda accomplished a two-sport, father-daughter Australian twice with the cutting-edge success in the LPGA Trip operator. Petr Korda won the 1998 Australian Open tennis competition, also in Victoria.

“It is a really unique position for my household,” Korda said. “For my first win, I genuinely could not have believed of a better position.”


Korda shut with a 1-over 74 to complete at 3-under 289 in the first women’s expert occurrence at Noble Victoria, the ancient sand-belt structure that was the website of this year's Presidents Cup.


Stacy Lewis, Brittany Lincicome, Julieta Granada, So Yeon Ryu and Hee Kyung Seo also were in the playoff that coordinated up the biggest in LPGA Trip record.


Playing in threesomes on the par-4 Eighteenth, all six gamers began out the playoff with pars. On the second, Lewis, Lincicome, Granada and Seo created par and Ryu had a bogey.

Ryu and Seo, enjoying prior to Korda and Nikki Campbell in the second-to-last team, cause the leaderboard at 4 under going into one more pit of control, but both shut with bogeys to photograph 73.

Lewis accomplished a 70, and Lincicome and Granada taken 71.

Playing in the first playoff group, Lincicome had a pretty excellent possibility to win on the first additional pit, but her 6-foot birdie try circled the cup and kept out.

“I can't have hit it any better,” Lincicome said. “It was ideal, ideal rate. It was constant. Mouth out and comes again to you.”

She skipped a 15-foot birdie try on the second additional pit.

“Same element on the second tennis putt, hit it exactly where I desired to hit it and it just do not separate,” Lincicome said.

After Korda created her birdie tennis putt in the second team on the second playoff pit, Granada skipped a 12-footer that would have sent the two again to the Eighteenth tee.

“I was really relaxed,” Korda said. “I realized what the tennis putt did because I’d had it before and it did not switch. I was a little greater up and more to the right. I realized the range and I realized the rate. All I had to do was just hit it. It began splitting. I believed, `Oh, my benefits no, do not lip out, do not separate too beginning.’ I do not even know what area of the pit it hit. I was confused by everything.”

Making her Sixteenth start as an LPGA Trip participant, Korda began the circular with a one-stroke cause and was two forward at 7 under after birdieing three of the first eight gaps.

She had a twice bogey on No. 9, bogeyed 10, birdied 11, and bogeyed Nos. 14-16 to decrease to 2 under, then rallied with a birdie on the par-5 17 and parred the Eighteenth to get one more identify in the playoff.

“I believed, `You’ve got to be joking me,”’ Korda said about the bogey run. “I was lipping out and not examining my putts properly. But I believed, `Come on, you can still get it again.’ … I was going for walks down the fairway like an complete mistake. After I created the birdie, I was OK, like, `I can do this.”’

Projected to leap from 285th to 30 on the planet standing, she became the 6th newest victorious one in LPGA Trip record and it all newest to win a 72-hole occurrence.

“All the periods I was down last season, it is all value it,” she said. “It created me mature. It created me understand that you have got to modify your life to stay out here and this is confirmation. I know that all the challenging time I put in and will keep placing in are really value it. Every time.”

Jenny Leg accomplished a action out of the playoff at 2 under after a 70.

Top-ranked Yani Tseng, the victorious one the last two decades at Earth Golf Team, was 1 under after a 74. The Taiwanese celebrity had a three-hole expand Exclusive in her second-round 76 when she lowered six cerebral vascular accidents with a quadruple-bogey 8 and two bogeys. On Saturday, she had a multiple bogey on the par-4 4th, and bogeyed 15 and 16.

“If I do not have the two bogeys overdue, I probably still would have had a opportunity,” Tseng said. “So it’s excellent that I put in there and conducted again.”

Katie Futcher also was 1 under after a 74.

DIVOTS: Korda gained $165,000. The five playoff nonwinners each obtained $63,784. … The credit reviewing regular Sunday was 74.92 and the four-round complete was 76.492. … The LPGA Trip will be Asia the next two several weeks for the LPGA Thailand and HSBC Women’s Champions  in Singapore.


Bookmark and Share

Blog Archive