Danica Patrick back for Nationwide pole

DAYTONA BEACH - A day after a unpleasant collision in a determining competition for the Daytona 500, Danica Patrick came again powerful Friday and won the post for present-day season-opening NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Daytona Worldwide Speedway.


Patrick became the first lady to protected the top determining identify in NASCAR's second-tier series since Shawna Robinson at Atlanta on March 12, 1994.


The former car driver in the IndyCar Sequence converted a quick lap of 49.250 a few moments around the high-banked square, calculating 182.741 mph.

To Patrick, the delay for the 15 vehicles after her to finish their works seemed interminable.



Gosh, it seemed like a number of, didn't it?" she said. "I didn't even know the determining purchase. I had no concept how many individuals were going after me.


"One of the designers was composing down lap periods as he observed 'em, and he was like, 'All right, we dodged that subject. We've got this one -- this your going to be a big one. All right, we got that one.'

"And I'm like, 'It seems like every car is a big one. Of course it is -- they're all quicker than me (in practice). That's why they're determining after me.' I definitely didn't know it was the post until the last car surpassed the range."


Trevor Bayne, who Sunday will protect his Daytona 500 title, certified second, followed by Elliott Sadler, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Austin,  Dillon.


Afterward, Sadler paid Patrick a powerful enhance.

"In the last 24 several weeks," he said, "I think she is the most enhanced car proprietor we've had, in all three series."

Patrick is coming into her first complete period in the Across the country Sequence, generating for JR Motor rushing, managed or operated by Earnhardt. She also is creating her Dash Cup introduction in the Daytona 500.


Another former open-wheel car proprietor, Sam Hornish Jr., certified 6th, just prior to protecting Dash Cup champ Tony Stewart.

Stewart's forays into the Across the country Sequence have been infrequent these days, but the typical style is successful the season-opening competition at Daytona.


Stewart will take aim for his fifth straight success -- and 6th in the last seven decades -- in present-day Drive4COPD 300. When he requires the natural banner, he will be doing so for his 4th car proprietor in five decades.


Stewart, who has won the period operator for Joe Gibbs, John Hendrick and Kevin Harvick, will take the reins for Rich Childress Racing.


"I've had three really excellent car entrepreneurs to generate for," Stewart said. "It's nice to be able to say I got to generate for Rich, and I'm awaiting the competition. It's one that we've had a lot of best of success in."
Stewart is one of 19 individuals joined in both present-day 300-miler and Sunday's Daytona 500.


Patrick is another. After beginning at the top side these days, she will be at the pursue end of the area Sunday because of her collision in the determining competition that continued to be a significant subject of discussion Friday.


With no potential for preventing a head-on effect at nearly 190 mph, she ready by getting her arms and fingers off the rim. The in-car camera revealed her arms and fingers were almost at her experience. Experts desired to discuss the very young lady who protected her experience right before a big terrifying incident. It didn't issue that it wasn't real.


"In Indianapolis vehicles, you understand to take your arms and fingers off the rim," Meat described. "I was qualified when there is no keeping it and no wish, you let go.


"No, I wasn't masking my experience. But, yes, I did near them as I got to the wall structure. I didn't want my experience to pop out of my head.


Bookmark and Share

Blog Archive